Inspired by Hannah’s last post on avoiding certain foods to help her chronic illness symptoms, here is a dairy free and gluten free sweet treat that’s simple enough for anyone to make.
- 175g icing sugar plus extra for dusting
- 50g plain flour
- 100g ground almonds
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 5 egg whites
- 175g butter, melted
- 2 ripe pears cored, quartered and cut into long slices
- 25g flaked almonds
- Preheat oven to 200C/400F/Gas Mark 6
- Lightly grease the sides of a 9 inch tart tin with a removable bottom and place a disc of greaseproof paper on the base.
- Sieve the icing sugar and flour into a bowl and stir in the ground almonds and lemon zest.
- In a sperate bowl whisk the egg whites until just frothy.
- Add the egg whites and warm melted butter to the dry ingredients. Mix until smooth and combined and transfer mixture to your tart tin.
- Arrange the slices of pear on top and then sprinkle the flaked almonds over the pears.
- Transfer to the oven and bake for 15 minutes. Then lower the heat to 180C/350F/Gas Mark 4 and bake for another 10 minutes or until the mixture has risen and is a pale golden colour and a squewer inserted in the middle comes out clean
- Remove from the oven and let cool in the tin for 10 minutes before turning it out onto a wire rack.
- Place on a clean plate or cake stand and dust with icing sugar to serve.
Recipe from Rachel Allen